It is well documented that damp and mould causes mental and physical health problems. A YouGov poll commissioned by Safeguard Europe found that 51% of renters have experienced dampness and mould in their homes. To combat these alarming figures, Safeguard Europe is proud to offer Condensation in Buildings - a one-hour CPD seminar approved by the Royal Institute of British Architects - to housing associations, local authorities, public sector architects and builders.
The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 requires new build and rental properties to be free from damp and mould. For builders and housing providers to deliver damp-free homes, understanding condensation is key. Put the power back into the hands of long-suffering tenants with these helpful tips to reduce condensation and beat damp:
- Who can resist freshly warmed clothes on a cold morning? Avoid the temptation. Damp clothes turn into damp walls when dried on the radiator.
- Make sure air can circulate freely within the home by decluttering. Move furniture away from walls if possible, as they can trap condensation before it escapes.
- The impulse to shut all outside windows is strong, especially in winter months. But the moisture created by everyday life has to go somewhere. Keep outside windows open during steamy activities like showers and cooking.
- Plant and fish lovers should always be aware that open water features will condense naturally in the home. Keep fish tanks closed and ensure there is ventilation around flower vases.
- When cleaning mouldy surfaces, ensure a biocidal sanitiser is used alongside a bleach-based cleaner. This will kill the invisible spores and hyphae that lurk beneath surfaces.
Of course, not all excess condensation issues can be solved with lifestyle changes and mould cleaner. The Condensation in Buildings CPD seminar has been devised in-house by the experts at the Safeguard Research & Development Laboratory. It offers scientifically proven and verified solutions to excess condensation issues that scale to budget, timescale and severity.
Alongside Condensation in Buildings, Safeguard Europe offers a wide range of other RIBA-approved CPD seminars. These are delivered free of charge to equip the housing and construction industry with the knowledge they need to offer safe, dry and legally compliant housing. Training can be delivered remotely, at a place of your choosing or at Safeguard HQ in Horsham, West Sussex.
Safeguard Europe offers working technical support relationships to all attending organisations on their journey to eliminate all types of damp in buildings. Register your interest here to upskill and equip housing professionals with everything they need to manage condensation in buildings.