The Housing Secretary, Robert Jenrick, has today (Sept 17) announced that 274 Councils across England will share £91.5m to house vulnerable people through the Coronavirus pandemic.
The £91.5m will be used to help people into the private rented sector, secure interim accommodation such as supported housing, and assess the wider support that people may need in order to rebuild their lives.
Secretary of State for Communities and Housing, Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP said:
“The incredible national effort to support rough sleepers during the pandemic has protected many lives and is widely regarded as one of the most successful programmes of its kind in the world. I’m hugely grateful to all those involved.
“This funding will ensure that vulnerable people and rough sleepers continue to have safe accommodation and the care and support they need, to ensure as few as possible return to the streets.”
The Government is also now considering Councils’ applications for a share of the £161m grant that is designed to help secure longer term housing for those affected by the Coronavirus pandemic as well as those sleeping rough prior to the pandemic.
Minister for Rough Sleeping and Housing, Kelly Tolhurst MP said:
"This funding will make a difference to many thousands of vulnerable peoples’ lives, continuing to help them address complex needs, and to rebuild their lives, away from the streets in safer interim accommodation.
“I want to commend the Rough Sleeping Taskforce, council, providers and partners for the support they’ve provided so far. Together, we’re providing the support required to end rough sleeping and break the cycle of homelessness once and for all.”