Latest Public Sector News

27.06.16

Welsh cabinet to meet to discuss implications of EU referendum

The Welsh government cabinet will meet this morning to discuss the implications of the UK’s vote to leave the EU for the country.

The UK voted 52% in favour of leaving in Thursday’s referendum. This pattern was reflected in Wales, with 52.5% of voters supporting leaving against 47.5% wanting to stay.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, the turnout was in favour of remaining. Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has already announced that the Scottish government is preparing the legislation to seek another independence referendum to avoid leaving the EU against its will.

Carwyn Jones, Welsh first minister and Labour leader in Wales, who campaigned for the UK to remain, said: “We will look at an initial evaluation of the potential consequences of this result for Wales, and agree how we will take the priorities forward in the national interest.

“On Friday, I set out my priorities for action, including even closer working with Welsh business to protect jobs, renewed intergovernmental engagement and a commitment to protect and maintain EU funding for Wales for as long as possible.

“The full implications of this vote are still far from clear and will not be so for some time. However, one thing is certain. We as the Welsh government are utterly determined to stay internationally engaged, outward-looking and pro-business in our approach. That is what will maintain business confidence, and that is what will help inward investors take the right decisions in this new, uncertain environment.”

He added that the Welsh government would continue working with Tata Steel, whose sale of its UK steel operations had a significant impact on the industry, to meet the “immense challenges” the result could cause.

Alexandra Jones, CEO of Centre for Cities, has warned that the UK devolution process could “come to a standstill” following the referendum result, with devolved bodies losing out on EU funding and power transferring from Brussels to Westminster.

(Image: Welsh Assembly, c. Ben Birchall from PA Wire)

Have you got a story to tell? Would you like to become a PSE columnist? If so, click here.

Comments

There are no comments. Why not be the first?

Add your comment

 

related

public sector executive tv

more videos >

last word

The importance of openness after Grenfell

The importance of openness after Grenfell

Following the recent Grenfell Tower tragedy, Lord Porter, chairman of the LGA, argues that if the public are going to have faith in the safety testing process then everything must be out in the open more > more last word articles >

public sector focus

View all News

comment

Peter Kyle MP: It’s time to say thank you this Public Service Day

21/06/2019Peter Kyle MP: It’s time to say thank you this Public Service Day

Taking time to say thank you is one of the hidden pillars of a society. Bei... more >
How community-led initiatives can help save the housing shortage

19/06/2019How community-led initiatives can help save the housing shortage

Tom Chance, director at the National Community Land Trust Network, argues t... more >

interviews

Artificial intelligence: the devil is in the data

17/12/2018Artificial intelligence: the devil is in the data

It’s no secret that the public sector and its service providers need ... more >

the raven's daily blog

Northern Powerhouse Partner aims to connect the North once again

02/09/2019Northern Powerhouse Partner aims to connect the North once again

In February this year, official Northern Powerhouse Partner, Cognitive Publishing, delivered EvoNorth 2019.  The two day event was designed to amplify and highlight futur... more >
read more blog posts from 'the raven' >

editor's comment

25/10/2017Take a moment to celebrate

Devolution, restructuring and widespread service reform: from a journalist’s perspective, it’s never been a more exciting time to report on the public sector. That’s why I could not be more thrilled to be taking over the reins at PSE at this key juncture. There could not be a feature that more perfectly encapsulates this feeling of imminent change than the article James Palmer, mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, has penned for us on p28. In it, he highlights... read more >