Latest Public Sector News

18.10.18

Twelve councils given first share of £400m fund to remove unsafe tower block cladding

The government has released the first £248m share of funding for councils to start removing unsafe cladding from their high-rise tower blocks.

Twelve local authorities and 31 housing associations have been told that they will receive part of the estimated £400m funding announced by Theresa May earlier this year following the Grenfell Fire tragedy in 2017.

The money will be used to remove and replace the unsafe aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding systems on high-rise social housing of 18m or higher.

The government received applications from 159 buildings, of which 135 have haven approved for initial funding.

The Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) said that funding would allow local authorities and housing associations to make properties safe following Grenfell without having an impact on other vital services.

Communities secretary James Brokenshire said the government was doing the right thing for residents by fully funding the cladding and would be monitoring progress closely.

He added: “There is nothing more important than ensuring people are safe in their homes and that is why I am pleased the £400m funding has started to be released.

“In the private sector, I want to see landlords protect leaseholders from these costs. I am pleased that a number have stepped forward to do so. However, there are some who are not engaging in this process. If they don’t, I have ruled nothing out.”

The latest figures from the MHCLG said that 75% of social housing buildings with the unsafe ACM cladding have been remedied or are currently in the process of being replaced. The department claims that plans are in place for the remaining 25%, and interim fire safety measures are being taken in all the affected buildings.

Brokenshire announced in June that combustible cladding was to be banned in high-rise buildings following a consultation.

In the same month, councils in London revealed that they had spent £100m on safety measures since the Grenfell fire, covering cladding removal, surveys and ‘waking watches’ on at-risk buildings.

Enjoying PSE? Subscribe here to receive our weekly news updates or click here to receive a copy of the magazine!

Image credit - AmandaLewis

Comments

There are no comments. Why not be the first?

Add your comment

 

public sector executive tv

more videos >

last word

The importance of openness after Grenfell

The importance of openness after Grenfell

Following the recent Grenfell Tower tragedy, Lord Porter, chairman of the LGA, argues that if the public are going to have faith in the safety testing process then everything must be out in the open more > more last word articles >

public sector focus

View all News

comment

The digital buying community is live

12/11/2018The digital buying community is live

Many of the requirements from buyers posted on the Digital Marketplace were... more >
A force to be reckoned with

12/11/2018A force to be reckoned with

The South Bank plan, which refers to a number of investments and proposed a... more >

interviews

New Dorset Councils CEO on the creation of a new unitary: ‘This is going to be the right decision for Dorset’

05/11/2018New Dorset Councils CEO on the creation of a new unitary: ‘This is going to be the right decision for Dorset’

The new chief executive of one of the new unitary authorities in Dorset has... more >

the raven's daily blog

PFI is gone, but the need for private money will not disappear

19/11/2018PFI is gone, but the need for private money will not disappear

Alan Bermingham, policy manager at CIPFA, analyses the government’s decision to abolish future use of PFI/PF2 funding arrangements. Many people were caught by surp... more >
read more blog posts from 'the raven' >

editor's comment

25/10/2017Take a moment to celebrate

Devolution, restructuring and widespread service reform: from a journalist’s perspective, it’s never been a more exciting time to report on the public sector. That’s why I could not be more thrilled to be taking over the reins at PSE at this key juncture. There could not be a feature that more perfectly encapsulates this feeling of imminent change than the article James Palmer, mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, has penned for us on p28. In it, he highlights... read more >